Are you having trouble finding a healthy breakfast for weekday mornings that is also quick and easy? Overnight oatmeal is a quick, healthy recipe that you can prepare the day before and then top with your choice of fruit, nuts and berries. It's a healthy start to your day and can be a great source of fibre, protein, healthy fat, as well as vitamins and minerals.
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon chia seeds or ground flax seeds
Add oats, milk, yogurt, seeds, sweeteners, spices or flavorings to a mason jar. Cover, shake until well-combined. Add diced fruit, stir to combine and keep the sealed container overnight in the refrigerator. Serve with 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen fruit, diced. Enjoy chilled or reheated.
- Very Berry – add ¼ tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp unsweetened fruit jam and berries
- Tropical- add ¼ tsp almond extract, 1 tsp crushed pineapple and diced mango
- Apple cinnamon – add ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp honey and unsweetened apple sauce
- Banana cocoa – add 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, ½ tsp honey and diced banana
- Peach nut – add 1 Tbsp nut butter, ½ tsp honey and diced peaches
- Raisin spice – add ¼ tsp brown sugar, ¼ tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbsp raisins
Refrigerator oatmeal can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days, is quick, easy and portable.
For healthy fats and extra protein add 2 tbsp of crushed nuts or seeds.
Substitute leftover grains, such as quinoa, buckwheat or milled for the oats. Reduce milk and yogurt by half when using these grains.